Mistakes were made.
So I figured I could do the rest of the flags in a production line.
Don’t worry. That’s not the part that went wrong.
I started on the candle flag (Inkadinkado, Nevermore). It was the doodle. It had boxes and colored dots of different sizes and it was obnoxious and clown-like. I hated it, and I’m only a little sorry I didn’t take pictures. I knew it had gone horribly wrong, and I forgot about the camera as I got involved in fixing things.
Lots of paint followed. At first, I put in blocks of black, covering some of the dots. Nope, that was worse. Then I covered almost everything in black, then added a layer of pearl (this is all Lumiere). That was better. Then three more coats of pearl covered everything. Then more paint. More! More!
I even re-painted the lace because the contrast was off. Some of the blocks and dots are still visible, but now they add texture rather than making me think of tiny, overcrowded cars.
This one is a bit different from the others. Lots more shimmer with the paint. I skipped adding beads, because it had enough shine, and parts of the lace are bead-like. It went from something I hated to something I loved. I think I need more Lumiere paints, because they are a blast.